- 1 How do you explore the Apostle Islands?
- 2 Where should I stay when visiting the Apostle Islands?
- 3 Can you kayak to the Apostle Islands?
- 4 How far are the Apostle Islands from Duluth?
- 5 How much does it cost to go to Apostle Islands?
- 6 Can you swim at the Apostle Islands?
- 7 What cities are near the Apostle Islands?
- 8 Can you stay on Apostle Islands?
- 9 How do you get to Apostle Islands Ice Caves?
- 10 How long does it take to kayak the Apostle Islands?
- 11 How deep is the water around the Apostle Islands?
- 12 Can I bring my own kayak to Pictured Rocks?
- 13 Can you drive a car on Madeline Island?
- 14 Are the Apostle Islands Open?
- 15 How much does it cost to take the ferry to Madeline Island?
How do you explore the Apostle Islands?
Island Tours/Shuttles The most popular is the 55-mile “Grand Tour” which travels through the heart of the Apostle Islands archipelago. Trips leave from Bayfield daily from late May to mid-October. Cruises provide views of most of the islands, as well as close looks at dramatic sandstone cliffs and historic lighthouses.
Where should I stay when visiting the Apostle Islands?
Staying Near Apostle Islands Marina
- Lucy’s Place: With a stay at this 3-star bed & breakfast, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and free parking, along with an in-room kitchenette.
- Old Rittenhouse Inn: This 3.5-star bed & breakfast features free breakfast, a restaurant, and free WiFi.
Can you kayak to the Apostle Islands?
Apostle Islands is renowned for it’s water resource including the beaches, sea caves, lighthouses, and island camping. A sea kayak is the recommended kayak that should be used in the Apostle Islands.
How far are the Apostle Islands from Duluth?
Distance between Duluth and Apostle Islands is 109.77 km. This distance is equal to 68.2 miles, and 59.23 nautical miles.
How much does it cost to go to Apostle Islands?
1. Is there an entrance fee? No. Apostle Islands National Lakeshore does not charge an entrance fee, but does have expanded amenity fees.
Can you swim at the Apostle Islands?
Yes, it’s true, Lake Superior can be really cold. The average annual water temperature of the lake is about 40 degrees Fahrenheit. On warm, calm, sunny summer days, however, water temperatures in the Apostle Islands ‘ protected shallow bays can climb into the 70s.
What cities are near the Apostle Islands?
Road Trip to Wisconsin’s Apostle Islands and Harbor Towns
- Apostle Islands National Lakeshore. Starting a road trip in the northern region of Wisconsin on Lake Superior, travelers can start at the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore.
- Green Bay.
- Sturgeon Bay.
Can you stay on Apostle Islands?
Camping is available on 18 of the Lakeshore’s 21 islands, and at one campsite on the mainland. The mainland campsite is only accessible by kayak or a 6-mile hike on the Lakeshore Trail from Meyers Beach. There is NO drive up car, tent, or RV camping available in the Apostle Islands.
How do you get to Apostle Islands Ice Caves?
Location. The ice caves are located at the Meyers Beach area of the Mainland Unit of the park in far northern Bayfield County. There is a parking area and stairs to the beach/ ice at the end of Meyers Road. Meyers Beach is located, 18 miles west of Bayfield and 4 miles east of Cornucopia along Highway 13.
How long does it take to kayak the Apostle Islands?
Good thing, since ahead of us we had a handful of crossings — paddling big channels between islands. By the end of the day we would cover more than 15 miles in about seven hours of paddling.
How deep is the water around the Apostle Islands?
Depth: 10 to 15 feet. Location: Stockton Island, Julian Bay.
Can I bring my own kayak to Pictured Rocks?
You can still rent kayaks at Grand Island although you need to stay within a certain area and never more than 100 feet from the shore. If you want to see Pictured Rocks by kayak you either need to bring your own kayak or join a guided tour.
Can you drive a car on Madeline Island?
No, public transportation is not available on the Island. It is advisable to bring your car across – especially for access to the parks as they are located 7 miles from the ferry landing.
Are the Apostle Islands Open?
On This Page Navigation On This Page. Apostle Islands National Lakeshore is open year-round; however, the islands become much more challenging to access during the shoulder seasons and winter.
How much does it cost to take the ferry to Madeline Island?
We recommend arriving on the dock 20 minutes before your desired departure time. Please see ferry rates below or call Ferry Line office at 715-747-2051 for more information. ADDITIONAL FERRY RATES.
|Auto (19 ft and less than 22 ft)||$20.50||$41.00|
|Vehicle (19 ft and less than 22 ft)||$20.50||$41.00|