- 1 How do you get to the Apostle Islands?
- 2 How much does it cost to go to Apostle Islands?
- 3 Can you stay on the Apostle Islands?
- 4 When should I go to Apostle Islands?
- 5 How much does it cost to take the ferry to Madeline Island?
- 6 Can you drive a car on Madeline Island?
- 7 Can you swim at the Apostle Islands?
- 8 Where should I stay to visit the Apostle Islands?
- 9 How long is Apostle Island Grand Tour?
- 10 Are there bears in the Apostle Islands?
- 11 How far are the Apostle Islands from Milwaukee?
- 12 How many Apostle Islands are there?
- 13 Can you kayak to the Apostle Islands?
- 14 How far is Apostle Islands from Chicago?
- 15 Are the Apostle Islands Open?
How do you get to the Apostle Islands?
Island Tours/Shuttles The most popular is the 55-mile “Grand Tour” which travels through the heart of the Apostle Islands archipelago. Trips leave from Bayfield daily from late May to mid-October. Cruises provide views of most of the islands, as well as close looks at dramatic sandstone cliffs and historic lighthouses.
How much does it cost to go to Apostle Islands?
1. Is there an entrance fee? No. Apostle Islands National Lakeshore does not charge an entrance fee, but does have expanded amenity fees.
Can you stay on the Apostle Islands?
Camping is available on 18 of the Lakeshore’s 21 islands, and at one campsite on the mainland. The mainland campsite is only accessible by kayak or a 6-mile hike on the Lakeshore Trail from Meyers Beach. There is NO drive up car, tent, or RV camping available in the Apostle Islands.
When should I go to Apostle Islands?
Summer is the best time to visit the Apostle Islands, namely July and August. June and September are also good months, but meteorological conditions are much more unstable.
How much does it cost to take the ferry to Madeline Island?
We recommend arriving on the dock 20 minutes before your desired departure time. Please see ferry rates below or call Ferry Line office at 715-747-2051 for more information. ADDITIONAL FERRY RATES.
|Auto (19 ft and less than 22 ft)||$20.50||$41.00|
|Vehicle (19 ft and less than 22 ft)||$20.50||$41.00|
Can you drive a car on Madeline Island?
No, public transportation is not available on the Island. It is advisable to bring your car across – especially for access to the parks as they are located 7 miles from the ferry landing.
Can you swim at the Apostle Islands?
Yes, it’s true, Lake Superior can be really cold. The average annual water temperature of the lake is about 40 degrees Fahrenheit. On warm, calm, sunny summer days, however, water temperatures in the Apostle Islands ‘ protected shallow bays can climb into the 70s.
Where should I stay to visit the Apostle Islands?
Staying Near Apostle Islands Marina
- Lucy’s Place: With a stay at this 3-star bed & breakfast, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and free parking, along with an in-room kitchenette.
- Old Rittenhouse Inn: This 3.5-star bed & breakfast features free breakfast, a restaurant, and free WiFi.
How long is Apostle Island Grand Tour?
The Grand Tour takes you on a narrated, informative 55-mile scenic tour. Throughout this memorable cruise, you’ll pass extraordinary natural scenery, beautiful historic Raspberry and Devils Island Lighthouses, standing rocks, extensive sea caves, and marine wildlife.
Are there bears in the Apostle Islands?
One of the greatest concentrations of black bears in North America is found on Stockton Island in the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore. Due to their mobility and expert swimming skills, bears may be found on just about any of the Apostle Islands.
How far are the Apostle Islands from Milwaukee?
The distance between Milwaukee and Apostle Islands is 303 miles.
How many Apostle Islands are there?
The 21 islands and 12 miles of mainland coast host a unique blend of cultural and natural resources. Apostle Islands National Lakeshore has more lighthouses than any other site in the National Park System with 9 historic towers on 6 islands.
Can you kayak to the Apostle Islands?
Apostle Islands is renowned for it’s water resource including the beaches, sea caves, lighthouses, and island camping. A sea kayak is the recommended kayak that should be used in the Apostle Islands.
How far is Apostle Islands from Chicago?
The distance between Chicago and Apostle Islands is 382 miles.
Are the Apostle Islands Open?
On This Page Navigation On This Page. Apostle Islands National Lakeshore is open year-round; however, the islands become much more challenging to access during the shoulder seasons and winter.