- 1 How do you get to the Apostle Islands?
- 2 Can you stay on the Apostle Islands?
- 3 How much does it cost to go to Apostle Islands?
- 4 How do you get from Chicago to Apostle Islands?
- 5 How much does it cost to take the ferry to Madeline Island?
- 6 Can you drive a car on Madeline Island?
- 7 Are there bears in the Apostle Islands?
- 8 Where should I stay when visiting the Apostle Islands?
- 9 Where should I stay on the Apostle Islands?
- 10 Can you swim at the Apostle Islands?
- 11 How long is Apostle Island Grand Tour?
- 12 Can you kayak to the Apostle Islands?
How do you get to the Apostle Islands?
Island Tours/Shuttles The most popular is the 55-mile “Grand Tour” which travels through the heart of the Apostle Islands archipelago. Trips leave from Bayfield daily from late May to mid-October. Cruises provide views of most of the islands, as well as close looks at dramatic sandstone cliffs and historic lighthouses.
Can you stay on the Apostle Islands?
Camping is available on 18 of the Lakeshore’s 21 islands, and at one campsite on the mainland. The mainland campsite is only accessible by kayak or a 6-mile hike on the Lakeshore Trail from Meyers Beach. There is NO drive up car, tent, or RV camping available in the Apostle Islands.
How much does it cost to go to Apostle Islands?
1. Is there an entrance fee? No. Apostle Islands National Lakeshore does not charge an entrance fee, but does have expanded amenity fees.
How do you get from Chicago to Apostle Islands?
There is no direct connection from Chicago to Apostle Islands. However, you can take the subway to O’Hare, take the walk to Chicago O’Hare airport, fly to Ironwood, then take the travel to Apostle Islands.
How much does it cost to take the ferry to Madeline Island?
We recommend arriving on the dock 20 minutes before your desired departure time. Please see ferry rates below or call Ferry Line office at 715-747-2051 for more information. ADDITIONAL FERRY RATES.
|Auto (19 ft and less than 22 ft)||$20.50||$41.00|
|Vehicle (19 ft and less than 22 ft)||$20.50||$41.00|
Can you drive a car on Madeline Island?
No, public transportation is not available on the Island. It is advisable to bring your car across – especially for access to the parks as they are located 7 miles from the ferry landing.
Are there bears in the Apostle Islands?
One of the greatest concentrations of black bears in North America is found on Stockton Island in the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore. Due to their mobility and expert swimming skills, bears may be found on just about any of the Apostle Islands.
Where should I stay when visiting the Apostle Islands?
Staying Near Apostle Islands Marina
- Lucy’s Place: With a stay at this 3-star bed & breakfast, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and free parking, along with an in-room kitchenette.
- Old Rittenhouse Inn: This 3.5-star bed & breakfast features free breakfast, a restaurant, and free WiFi.
Where should I stay on the Apostle Islands?
Hotels near Apostle Islands Marina
- Harbor’s Edge Motel. 2.5-star.
- Legendary Waters Resort & Casino. 2.5-star.
- Lucy’s Place. 3-star.
- Old Rittenhouse Inn. 3.5-star.
- Winfield Inn and Gardens. 3-star.
- Pinehurst Inn Bed & Breakfast. 3.5-star.
- Apostle Pines 4 by Winfield Inn. 3.5-star.
- Bayfield on the Lake. 3.5-star.
Can you swim at the Apostle Islands?
Yes, it’s true, Lake Superior can be really cold. The average annual water temperature of the lake is about 40 degrees Fahrenheit. On warm, calm, sunny summer days, however, water temperatures in the Apostle Islands ‘ protected shallow bays can climb into the 70s.
How long is Apostle Island Grand Tour?
The Grand Tour takes you on a narrated, informative 55-mile scenic tour. Throughout this memorable cruise, you’ll pass extraordinary natural scenery, beautiful historic Raspberry and Devils Island Lighthouses, standing rocks, extensive sea caves, and marine wildlife.
Can you kayak to the Apostle Islands?
Apostle Islands is renowned for it’s water resource including the beaches, sea caves, lighthouses, and island camping. A sea kayak is the recommended kayak that should be used in the Apostle Islands.